Steven has been having problems with poop since he was potty trained. It is very frustrating!!! We have thought that he is too busy to poop, too lazy to go, or just doesn't think about it until it's too late. I will notice him hunched in the corner with his back rounded, his face red, his eyes wide...trying to hold it in. When he does finally let it go....he clogs the toilet. Almost every time.
Poor guy has accidents about every other day! It's easy to get frustrated and yell and tell him he needs to be responsible and he is 8!! Why can't he act like an 8 year old?! Today he had about 4 accidents. I smelled him, he showered. About 10 minutes later, another accident. Shower. 30 minutes later, another accident and shower. And so on. So frustrating. On the last time, I said, "Steven, you stink again!" He could see my frustration even though I was trying so hard to hide it. (We were out and it is rather embarrassing to be the ones that stink like poop all the time.) Tears welled up in his big blue eyes, and he said, "I'm sorry Mom. I didn't feel it. It was an accident. I'm really sorry."
I realized he wasn't being lazy or irresponsible! He really couldn't feel it! I asked him some more questions about it and he really can't feel it!!! When we got home, he showered again and I went to the internet. I found a website that described this issue to a T.
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/06/child-feel-poops.html
He really can't feel it. He can't even smell it anymore! My poor buddy has Encopresis. It has been going on so long that it's going to take a LONG time to reverse, but it is possible and now we know.
Poor, sweet, tortured Steven! I feel horrible that I didn't go searching for answers sooner.
Monday, March 9, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my goodness, I am so glad you posted this. I am going through the exact same thing with my 5 year old. Thanks for posting the site as well, maybe we can get this taken care of and make the whole family happy, and the house smelling fresher. Glad I read your post.
Post a Comment